Monday, March 20, 2006

On Health Care

Democrats and leftists like to denigrate the health care offered in the United States. These same folks (none of whom have ever or will ever have to work for a living) like Senator Hillary Clinton of New York seem to think that somehow people who are earning an honest living ought to have to pay for the needs of those who are a) here illegally or b) less wealthy or c) less talented. I disagree with that idea. I also disagree with their assessment of US health care.

I recently was diagnosed with cancer. As a member of the Kasier Permanente healthcare organization, I was prepared for problems. However, I discovered that I was completely covered and my surgery and suibsequent stay in hospital was entirely free for me. I also discovered that the services rendered and the ease of access were beyond reproach as well. My family had no problems contacting me, and I have absolutely no complaints with the quality of care offered.

I was diagnosed on a Monday. Two weeks later, I have had the surgery completed and have already contacted my follow-up doctors regarding post-operative care. There have been no problems and I have no complaints. This has been my experience in general with US health care. I have never reallly had any complaints with the level of care, nor even with the accessibility of doctors.

Therefore, it seems to me that these liberals who cry for 'universal health care' have got it all wrong. I see no reason to place hardships on ordinary Americans to provide care for all. If people wish health care, they will pay for it, or their companies will pay for it. I personally have no problem paying fro my own and for my family's care. But I do not intend to pay for someone I do not know and who might even be here illegally. No where is it written that health care is a right. If one can afford it, one will pay for it. But there is no reason to force us to pay for those who will not pay for themselves.

No comments: