Monday, August 08, 2005

Hiroshima Revisited

I observe that the annual hair-tearing, soul-searching anniversary of the First Use of Atomic Weapons by the usual suspect, the Horrible Terrorist Amerika has arrived. Spare me. More eloquent scholars that I have made the case for the use of the Bomb, and I will not revisit the affair here. However, as Jeff Jacoby points out today, this anniversary (the 60th, for those keeping score at home) is not being argued with the strength of the fiftieth. He is right. I was in Japan ten years ago, and I can still remember how bitter (even from across the Pacific Ocean),the battles were over the Smithsonian's Enola Gay exhibit.

Unfortunately, I also observe that the Japanese themselves are still making the case of victimhood- when they can tear themselves away from this sort of thing, that is!

No comments: