Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Candidates and the Polls

Well, I held out as long as I could, but the recent polls and other news have made it impossible for me to avoid mentioning the current political situation in these United States. As the estimable Captain Ed Morissey and the Powerline crew have already commented, it is very early to be starting a Presidential campaign push. However, that being said, there are some very interesting polls out already regarding both the various candidates and the potential matchups in the general election.

Although I have no intention of endorsing any candidate at this stage, I find it more than interesting that former New York mayor Rudolf Giuliani seems to be one of the front-runners- and also to be the only Republican who consistently beats any Democratic offering.

On the Democratic side, while John (bash America whilst overseas in Davos) Kerry has had the good sense to pull out, I find it interesting that John Edwards is apparently doing well. And that Barack Obama, despite his complete inexperience, is also among the front-runners- even edging out Hillary Clinton, much to that egotistical ideologue's surprise.

While I wish to hear more from all of the candidates before committing to any one, I am interested to see if Mitt Romney can overcome the seeming handicap of his Mormon background to make a serious push. But most of all, as a friend and I were discussing the other day, I would like to see the Democrats abandon the wilderness of Bush Derangement Syndrome and take an active part in governing, since they are now the majority party in Congress. Sniping from the wilderness does no good to anyone, in my opinion.

No comments: