Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veteran's Day

Today is Veterans Day. It was established in 1954 to honor the veterans of all wars throughout the history of the United States.

Originally known as Armistice Day, it falls on the anniversary of the end of the First World War. However, in 1954, it was expanded to include all US veterans' regardless of the war in which they fought.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all veterans, and urge all readers to do likewise. As the old saying goes, it is not the Press that ensures freedom of the press. It is not the politicians who ensure free elections and it is not preachers who ensure freedom of religion.

Instead, it is the men and women of the United States Armed Forces- the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard and Merchant Marine- who guarantee that our great country remains free of whatever totalitarian philosophy is currently in vogue amongst the intelligentsia- whether that philosophy goes under the name of Communism, Nazism, or the currently popular imperialist Islam.

Thank you, veterans. Thank you. Your sacrifices are certainly appreciated by this American.

1 comment:

Caroline Tan said...

I am logged in and trying to leave a comment. I hope this works. I will also be adding you to my "blogs to follow" so I can access you easier :) I am also truly touched that you spent your precious time reading my inane ramblings. Just for you to know, I will be turning 40, a milestone, and as such, my wrinkles (or lack of, thank you very much!) is the first sign, so I am rather sensitive. Some (my hubby) say I'm paranoid...